Friday, June 24, 2011

Fran, June 24

Fran began as an outpatient this week at Scripps Encinitas Rehab, where she had been an inpatient about a month ago. The staff members who had treated her as an inpatient were very impressed with her progress.  The goal of the current treatment is to make her independent, so she can get around the house without assistance. She is determined and I expect she will get there in the next couple of months.

Jerry and Alice turned me on to a wonderful book, My Stroke of Insight. It is the story of a relatively young (37) brain scientist, Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, who had a severe left-brain stroke.  She recounts in great detail, her experience of the stroke and her process of recovery.  She achieved complete recovery over an 8 year period.

This book is a must read for anyone who is providing care or who has a close relationship with a stroke patient.  In an appendix she lists "the 40 things I needed the most," beginning with "I am not stupid, I am wounded.  Please respect me."

It is not only a must read, but also a good read.

Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment